Dr. Justin Stoler is Associate Professor of Geography and Sustainable Development at the University of Miami, with secondary appointments in the Department of Public Health Sciences and Abess Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy. He is co-PI of the HWISE-RCN, and his research explores urban health disparities using social, environmental, and spatial epidemiological methods. Justin enjoys field work and has worked in several countries—including a decade of experience in Accra, Ghana—exploring the links between neighborhood structure, geodemographics, the environment, communicable diseases, and water insecurity. Dr. Stoler directs the Social & Health Inequities Research & Education (SHIRE) Lab, which provides research and professional development opportunities to students at all levels. His courses blend geospatial frameworks with contemporary population, environmental, and global health issues.
Recent Publications: (Google Scholar page)
- Stoler, J., Brewis, A., Kangmennang, J., Keough, S. B., Pearson, A. L., Rosinger, A. Y., Stauber, C., & Stevenson, E. G. (2021). Connecting the dots between climate change, household water insecurity, and migration. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 51, 36-41.
- Stoler, J., Miller, J. D., Brewis, A., Freeman, M. C., Harris, L. M., Jepson, W., Pearson, A. L., Rosinger, A. Y., Shah, S. H., Staddon, C., Workman, C. L., Wutich, A., Young, S. L., & HWISE-RCN. (2021). Household water insecurity will complicate the ongoing COVID-19 response: Evidence from 29 sites in 23 low-and middle-income countries. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 234, 113715.
- Jepson, W. E., Stoler, J., Baek, J., Martínez, J. M., Salas, F. J. U., & Carrillo, G. (2021). Cross-sectional study to measure household water insecurity and its health outcomes in urban Mexico. BMJ Open, 11(3), e040825.
- Wutich, A., Jepson, W. E., Stoler, J., Thomson, P., Kooy, M., Brewis, A., Staddon, C. and Meehan, K., 2021. A global agenda for household water security: measurement, monitoring, and management. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 57(4), 530-538.
Other health topics:
- Stoler, J., Enders, A. M., Klofstad, C. A., & Uscinski, J. E. (2021). The limits of medical trust in mitigating COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy among Black Americans. Journal of General Internal Medicine, doi: 10.1007/s11606-021-06743-3.
- Urrechaga, E. M., Stoler, J., Quinn, K., Cioci, A. C., Nunez, V., Rodriguez, Y., Quiroz, H. J., Sussman, M. S., Perez, E. A., Ford, H. R. and Sola, J. E., 2021. Geodemographic analysis of pediatric firearm injuries in Miami, FL. Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 56(1), 159-164.
- Vu, D. M., Stoler, J., Rothman, A. L. and Chang, T. C., 2021. A service coverage analysis of primary congenital glaucoma care across the United States. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 224, 112-119.